The Reel Deal

Sharing stuff found on magnetic tape in the reel-to-reel format.

10/22/2006

Julie Is Her Name, vol. 2




OK, kids, I have not gone dissaperiang on you, I got a ramped-up work schedule, which pretty much takes almost all of my spare time (that plus getting tapes prepped and sold on eBay)... so, not to worry, I'll have postings, but not as frequently as they used to be.

I do have a bunch of stories to tell, like the piker that sold me an American Airlines reel with Dick Hyman & Enoch Light on it (the label was Project 3) that was absolute utter CRAP... and the Elton John tape that got into a bidding war and sold for $75... and other fun things too. I am awaiting getting a box of about 180 reels (35 of them are 2-track stereo things), so there's no lack of upcoming content, to be sure...

As a way of apologizing, and to fill both the needs of the reel AND the lounge community, I hereby present, from the original Liberty Stereo reel, Julie London's follow-up to the GREAT LP, "Julie Is Her Name" (which I only have in mono, dammit). This is her, Howards Roberts on guitar (and all the arrangements are his, too!), and Red Mitchell on bass. Her husband, Bobby Troup produced it, and, let me tell ya, it's a WINNER. Just as sultry and playful as the first LP was, so this one is also. Only the cover has been changed to remove the little pout she had on the first LP cover.

I think this was released in the early 60s, the catalog number is LST7100, and it's a 4-track stereo tape... plus the dubbing house's address on the back has a ZIP code, so that would put THIS release at right around 1963 or 64... but I have a feeling that the LP may have been released earlier... I dunno, if anyone has that info....

So, without further ado, I give to you Miss Julie London.

Here is The front and The backof the reel box.

Julie Is Her Name, what more needs be said!

5 Comments:

At 4:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this! I love Julie London - she's one of my favourite female singers.

 
At 5:38 AM, Blogger litlgrey said...

Juie London - a great singer, a passable actress, but most importantly: a MASTER of sweater puppetry!

 
At 12:09 AM, Blogger The Impaler said...

Shouldn't that be The MISTRESS of Sweater Puppetry? :) I'll bet you'll hear no complaints from Bobby Troup... and she filled out the uniform nicely as Nurse Dixie too on "Emergency!" (which Bobby was in also as the older Doctor role).

 
At 10:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Julie was a wonderful singer, and the sound of this recording is really excellent.
Don K.

 
At 2:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

More Julie London post's PLEASE!! Thanks. bluesBob. Merry Christmas to all our readers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home