The Reel Deal

Sharing stuff found on magnetic tape in the reel-to-reel format.

9/13/2006

Red Nichols and his Pennies




Got for you today another 5-inch 2-track mono tape, this time from the UK...

Red Nichols built his reputation in the US by being one HOT trumpet and cornet player. Hot Jazz was his bailywick, and he did it VERY well. I have some 78s of him tearing it up both with his group, the Five Pennies, and with other big bands as well as all-star combos.

This collection shows a mixture of lounge, traditional jazz, and, for the lack of a better term, 'lounge-jazz'. There are some tracks that reflect the 1930s, some that reflect big bands of the 40s, and a couple that get into the mood-lounge of the 50s. It is an interesting jumbo-gumbo, but it is tasty, once you get over the initial expectations.

Unfortunately, unlike most World Record Club tape issues, this tape didn't have the nice little leaflet inside, so there are absolutely NO liner notes to be had, which heans, I have bloody naught of a clue as to support personnel or backing orchestrae. Which is a shame, because there's noteworthy performances on this little gem. I'll have to dig around and see if this is a compilation or if these tracks were recorded exclusively for the UK.

I suspect it is a compilation becasue I heard some pops as if this was from disc... which I removed :)

Actually a question for you all... I realize that this is a 2-track tape, and I dubbed this off on a 4-track machine (albeit a GOOD 4-track deck!), does the equalization sound somewhat 'hollow' to anyone here? If it is, I may re-EQ these cuts and repost at a later date... let me know what'cha think.

Here are the scans of the box:
The front...
The back...

Some very sophisticated gumbo from a hot cornet and cool sidemen... Red Nichols and his Pennies

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home