The Reel Deal

Sharing stuff found on magnetic tape in the reel-to-reel format.

9/08/2006

New Animal Crackers Jazz Band - Cinematographe 1925




I JUST TODAY got this tape... and HAD to encode it. This is one GREAT tape!

It was recorded in France by Club Francais du Disque, I think from around 1955, and released as a 2-track mono tape in the US by JazzTapes on 5" reel at 7.5 ips. I wish I had a 2-track deck, but the TEAC handled it well enough, so here it be.

I don't know all the personnel, but I *DO* know that Claude Bolling did the arrangements, and I will wager he's playing something instrument-wise here, quite possibly the piano... would make sense because that's his instrument...

The jazz is what you would hear circa 1925, played hot and brilliantly, with enough fun being had to make this one HECK of an enjoyable listen. It is an extremely rare recording that I am very proud to share with all of you jazz fans and reel-tape afficionados.

Here are the scans of the box:
The front...
The back...

Travel back in time and enjoy Cinematographe 1925!

Vive le Jazz au Francais!

4 Comments:

At 1:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your unusual and beautiful site. I love the music you won't hear anywhere else.
This Jazz is the Jazz as it uses to be!

 
At 7:38 PM, Blogger Ted Hering said...

A very good tape. The last track (Black Bottom Stomp) surprised me a bit -- The model for the arrangement seems to be the 1949 album, "Spike Jones Plays the Charleston." I'm not talking about the brief sound effect sequence near the end. The clarinet part is nearly note for note to the Jones charts!

 
At 9:35 PM, Blogger The Impaler said...

I *have* Black Bottom by Soike Jones, I am gonna have to a comparison! THis was recorded at just about the same time, I believe, so-o-o-o, it would be a case of synergetic wonderment. Which would be cool.

 
At 6:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ExcĂȘntrico!!!Gooooood!!!!!!Espetacular!!!!Thank you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home