The Reel Deal

Sharing stuff found on magnetic tape in the reel-to-reel format.

9/07/2006

Jake's Boys and The Rehearsal from Hell

First off, a bit of administratia: I killed the Box Tops posting. It was just too too awful.

Now, on with the reel for today!




Got a two parter tonight for you... first up, we have some country & western from 1955, recorded at a live show, somewhere, with a very small audience. The reel said "Jake's Boys" and they give us a nice little 6 tune set, with a couple of rehearsals of their song they recorded for Decca. I wonder who these guys REALLY are...

BUT!! It's a fairly good recording for 1955, and it looks like it is a 2-track mono tape. On the scan, I cheated on the back and put in the indexes myself, but you get the idea of what the boxes looked like for blank tape in the late 1950s.

Here's Jake's Boys, live, somewhere, in 1955!

Now, the next archive. This is of a dance band, personnel unknown, date unknown (but I'd wager 1955 as well), and, well, they REALLY REALLY need to rehearse some MORE. These guys are CRINGINGLY bad. Do not mistake this stuff for be-bop, this is just a band that needs.... something. A LOT of something...

I have spaced the title of the third song, it was really popular, but I spaced it....

You'll either cringe or laugh yourself silly at this, but it was SO well-intentionedly BAD I *HAD* to arc it up and share it with you.

The Rehearsal from HELL!

The front...
The back...

A Reminder... this was an eBay win, to assist me in getting more of these, drop something in the PayPal box please? Thanks!

2 Comments:

At 4:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!

I love the rehearsal from Hell!! As a longtime professional musician, it has "special" meaning, though I have never played in a band as challenged as this one. By the way, your track 3 is Lullaby of Birdland by George Shearing.

later,
John Tenney

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger The Impaler said...

Again, I knew I knew the track title but it was stuck in there so hard...

I too have been in the professional music biz, and I guess that's why the Rehearsal from Hell meant a lot to me as well. I try to stay away from musical challenges such as that, but sometimes, especially when hosting jam session nights, they just... HAPPEN. And then we run, far far away :)

Thanks for the info, mate :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home