The Reel Deal

Sharing stuff found on magnetic tape in the reel-to-reel format.

9/12/2006

Giuseppe di Stefano - Catari, Catari!




Here's a nifty tape that when the computer crashed I lost my entire, well-written, witty review.

We have selections by Neopolitan tenor Giuseppe di Stefano, backed by the New Symphony Orchestra of London, performing your basicly brilliant Neopolitan singing. The album is a London FFST tape, but, as you can see by the back of the box, it's a Japanese release! No slouches, this King Record Co., as they released it on Sony tape! This was in the pile of Japanese tapes I was going through a couple of weeks ago, but I didn't notice it for some reason until I looked at the back of the box. Silly me.

This is some brilliant singing, making me pine for a cappucino and biscotti somewhere in a sidewalk cafe in Naples, to be followed by liberal dashes of a decent wine, while watching the world pass by.

I have never seen this one show up in the thrift stores on London or UK Decca on LP, so I am thinking that this may be a new treat for many of you, it certainly was for me!

THe orchestra, the New Symphony Orchestra of London (under the capable baton of Iller Pattacini) backs Signore di Stefano very well, bringing a great flair to the proceedings.

I think that you will enjoy this tape, much as I did when listening to it during the encode pass, which was a GREAT way to start a beutiful early autumn day in the Rockies.

Here are the scans of the box:
The front...
The back...

Order up a cappucino and biscotti and enjoy Catari, Catari!

5 Comments:

At 10:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

... So you like my blog... wow ! Thank you so much for putting it in your links. I will be checking your pages as soon as I'm a little more awake (it's 7 am here, and I've been up for two hours and waiting for the caffeine to hit)
Meanwhile, keep swinging !
Domi.

 
At 6:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops... sorry. Now that the caffeine did hit, I see that it's you... again. How many blogs do you mean to have?
I don't visit your pages as often as I used to, but I'm pretty busy these days with my own blog + work. Will do my best to be back soon, though!
Ta ta for now,
Domi.

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger The Impaler said...

Domi: I have 4 now that deal with audio... see why I never get anything done? :)

 
At 9:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

... See why I can't read & listen to everything you post? Gosh, I've got my own pages to take care of! Books to translate! Songs to write! I'm doing my best to become insomniac but even then, I'll never have enough time for it all it seems.
See you.

 
At 7:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Many thanks for this. Over the past two weeks this has become a great favourite. I never even knew I loved this sort of thing. Well, there you go.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home