The Reel Deal

Sharing stuff found on magnetic tape in the reel-to-reel format.

9/02/2006

Dylan Thomas Reading His Complete Recorded Poetry




This, I realize, will be from completely out in left field, but after being 'niched' as a classical afficionado, I felt I had to pull this one off the shelves (yes, shelves... NEW shelves, built by mine own hand, a Makita cordless drill, scrap wood, and a bunch of deck screws) and regale you with it.

This, I would recommend, unless you are a LARGE fan of spoken word poetry, taking in doses. There is almost two hours of read poetry here... and DYlan's voice, even though it is sonorous, may start to 'get to you' after a while... make no mistake, these are classic poetic works... just that I found I needed to break it up a bit.

There are 29 works here, his complete recorded works, sourced from older records, some BBC recordings, and some recordings he made for Caedmon. You will also notice that the back label of the box with the tracklist is NOT correct, and neither is the label on the tape... so if anyone finds inconsistencies with the titles, PLEASE let me know and I'll adjust accordingly.

Scans:
The front...
The back...

Settle back in your auditorium seat as Dylan Thomas ascends to the lectern and reads His Complete Recorded Poetry.

12 Comments:

At 10:12 AM, Blogger David Federman said...

Brad,

Bless you. You have added a new dimendion to blogging by posting Dylan Thomas' recorded poetry. Got any William Carlos Williams? or Gertrude Stein? or T.S. Eliot? or Robert Frost? Speaking of poetry, do you have the recorded version of Archibald MacLeish's "J.B."?Bless you for what you do have and are sharing.

 
At 3:40 PM, Blogger The Impaler said...

I think I may have some Robert Frost on 78s, if I do, I'll put them up on the Shellac Shanty. I *do* know I have put some recorded poetry up there, but you may have to dig thru the archives to find it.

 
At 2:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an amazingly kind gift to poetry lovers! Thanks for making this available!

 
At 3:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Welsh actor Richard Burton recorded an LP reading the best of Thomas. He does it very well. I have digitised the LP in MP3 format. Can I post it somewhere?
Burton also recorded Wilfred Owen poems on an LP with the name The Days of Wilfred Owen. I could not find that anywhere, though.

 
At 3:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Welsh actor Richard Burton recorded an LP reading the best of Thomas. He does it very well. I have digitised the LP in MP3 format. Can I post it somewhere?
Burton also recorded Wilfred Owen poems on an LP with the name The Days of Wilfred Owen. I could not find that anywhere, though.
ferdinand68@absamail.co.za

 
At 1:59 AM, Blogger Fred said...

When I tried to click on that link. It claimed the file was not available any more. Has it been moved?

 
At 4:30 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you so much for posting this. I have to memorize one of theses poems by tomorrow for my English class and the recording will help allot. Thanks.

 
At 9:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

he is fucking awesome

 
At 1:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have found The Days of Wilfred Owen on CD. Owen poems read by Richard Burton. Contact me if you want to. Ferdi.
ferdinand68@absamail.co.za

 
At 10:03 PM, Blogger m_pixel said...

I tried clicking on all the highlighted items, but I keep getting the message that my computer can't access anything. Suggestions?

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

No go on your links

 
At 6:18 AM, Blogger kayester said...

I grant it's been a couple of years since you uploaded this, but the link seems to have gone gently into that long good night.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home