The Reel Deal

Sharing stuff found on magnetic tape in the reel-to-reel format.

9/07/2006

1955 Ohio Folklore Society Meeting





I love getting used reels from eBay some times.... sometimes you get a GOLDEN NUGGET, and boy oh boy here is one.

The back simply says: "Ohio Folklore Society Meeting" with a date of 10/1/55. On the tracklist it says "Weber Ohio Folklore Society". I took liberties and added text to the back pic scan to make it easier for you to read it...

This is reel 1 and 2 of 2 (I think) of this meeting, which consists of 4 30 minute portions of a lecture, with singing and dulcimer playing demonstrations of regional area folk songs. The first side has a few recording issues, but the second side came out VERY nice. I'll load these up as mp3s so you can play or download and save or whatever.

I did load up the other reel, so you have 2 hours available... the sessions seem to be part lecture, part Q&A and part demonstration of folk music... some sung well, some sung by perhaps a student of Florence Foster Jenkins :) There are some points in these where the recordist very noisily moved or adjusted the microphone, but I left those in for historical continuity's sake. I did do a little remastering on the second reel to bring out the voices more, I may re-do reel 1 the same way in the near future, now that I have a fairly good re-EQ curve set up.

Again, a 51 year old 2-track mono tape, some microphone bumps and readjusting, as this was recorded live from the audience in a lecture hall... nicely done for an amateur recordist getting a piece of history. I have contacted the Ohio State Historical Society to see if there is any interest in these...

Reel 1 Side 1
Reel 1 Side 2
Reel 2 Side 1
Reel 2 Side 2

The front...
The back (without notes)...
The back of reel 2 (with notes I added)...

Another eBay win... if you want more, I need to get something besides spider poop in the PayPal box!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home